So I absolutely LOVE macaroni and cheese. To me it is like the ultimate comfort food! As a kid I loved eating it out of a box, and still will when my kids want it for lunch sometimes. I have to say now I do prefer a nice homemade version though. I always love when I hear about a new mac and cheese recipe, but I always seem to come back to this one. I feel like some homemade versions can be dry but his one is amazingly creamy and oh so good! My kids even love this one and I love how it is made with real milk and cheese vs. processed cheese.
So here is what you need to start:
Start cooking your noodles according to the package directions. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour with a whisk. I like using a flat whisk, I feel like it is easier to use in a shallow pan. Gradually add the milk whisking constantly.
Add in the seasonings and worcestershire sauce and cook until the sauce is thickened and it starts to bubble. When it starts to bubble I turn down the heat to medium-low or low.
Add in 2 cups of cheese and stir around until it is melted.
Add in the cooked macaroni noodles and mix those around.
Pour into an 8 inch square baking dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining cup of cheese.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. After that heat under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes and then serve!
My absolute favorite bites are the ones that have the crispy cheese on top with it!
Here is your printable recipe!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni noodles, cooked
- ¼ cup butter (half a stick)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided (grate you own)
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, I use a flat whisk.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the salt, dry mustard, pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce and stir around.
- Cook until the sauce is thickened and starts to bubble. Then turn down the heat to medium-low or low.
- Add in 2 cups of grated cheese and stir around until it is melted.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- When that is done leave it in the oven and turn on the broiler. Heat under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and then let sit a few minutes and serve.
** I would love if you would join my Friday link-up party!