When it is cold outside, especially on a cloudy rainy day, I love good ol’ warm comfort food and this Broccoli Cheese Potato Chowder fits the bill! This is one of our favorites and I have made it several times this fall/winter.
First you want to chop up your onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Then melt your butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add in your onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender. Add in your garlic and stir that around.
Add in your water, Chicken Flavor Bouillon, and potatoes. This is the Chicken Bouillon I use.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. While your potatoes are cooking start cooking your bacon. Then mix your flour with water, add that in the pot and stir, and then simmer until the soup is slightly thickened.
Chop up your broccoli.
Add in your milk and broccoli and cook with the lid on until the broccoli is tender. Grate up your cheese. I use a mixture of cheddar and monterey jack.
Chop up your bacon.
Stir in your bacon and cheese, allow the cheese to melt, and serve.
Top with sour cream, it makes it taste so good, and more bacon bits.
Make this on your next cold, rainy (or snowy), day. You will love this!
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ of a yellow onion
- ½ - 1 cup chopped carrot (amount depends on personal taste)
- 1-2 sticks celery chopped
- 1½ Tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 4 medium brown potatoes, peeled and chopped in ½-1 inch pieces
- 8-10 pieces of bacon, cooked and then chopped (regular or turkey is fine)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream for topping
- Chop up your onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes.
- Melt your butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add in your onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender.
- Add in your garlic and stir that around.
- Pour in your 4 cups of water.
- Add in your Chicken Flavor Bouillon and potatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Cook up your bacon.
- Mix your flour with ½ cup water, stir that into the pot, and then simmer until the soup is slightly thickened.
- Add in your milk and broccoli and cook with the lid on until the broccoli is tender.
- Chop up your bacon and reserve some to use for topping. Add the rest of the bacon to the soup along with the shredded cheese.
- Allow the cheese to melt and then serve.
- Top with sour cream and additional bacon bits.