I am a little late getting my Friday post up but better late than never! Yesterday my oldest boy turned 4 so we spent the day celebrating him, and today was just a busy school day. So here we are! I have a simple easy recipe for today. Good ol’ Fire Station Red Chili!
Start with a 4-5 pound beef brisket or chuck roast. Cube the meat and sear in a hot, medium high heat pan to brown the outside . Probably need to do this in a few batches.
When done put the meat in a large pot. Chop up a white onion and add that in.
Stir it up and add your red chili sauce. I use these right here:
Season to taste with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a low boil and then cover and cook on low for 6 hours or more stirring occasionally .
When you are close to eating cook up your white rice and chop up your cilantro.
Add your chopped cilantro and lime juice to the cooked white rice and stir up.
To assemble your red chili get the large burrito sized tortillas. Put down some cheese and then meat, more cheese if you want, and some sour cream.
Fold it up by folding in the sides first and then the bottom and then rolling it up.
Add your rice and then sprinkle on some more cilantro. I actually liked eating bites of the red chili with the rice, or just adding some rice in the burrito. This makes a lot so it is good for a big crowd!
- 3-4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4-5 pound beef brisket or chuck roast
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 (28oz) cans red chili sauce
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- sour cream for topping
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Large burrito size tortillas
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- ½ bunch of cilantro chopped fine
- 2 limes
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high heat.
- Cube your meat and sear in the skillet until the outsides are brown. You may have to do this in a few batches. Add your meat to a large pot.
- Add your onion and chili sauce and stir up.
- Season to taste with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a low boil and then cover and cook on low for 6 hours or more stirring occasionally.
- When ready to eat cook up your rice.
- Chop up your cilantro and add to the cooked rice.
- Juice your limes right into the rice and stir up.
- Assemble your red chili with a tortilla then add cheese, chili, more cheese, and sour cream. Fold up and eat with the rice.